The purpose of pre-planning consultation is to afford applicants an opportunity to seek advice from the Planning Authority on a proposed development. This advice can include indicating the relevant objectives and policies of the development plan that may have a bearing on the decision of the application.
A pre-planning consultation can be arranged if the person has an interest in the land concerned and where he/ she wishes to consult about a proposed development or future planning application, that is, a specific proposal. Enquires of a speculative nature, together with queries relating to sites that are for sale and seeking advice on the development potential for lands will not be dealt with by the Planning Authority. In such cases, the applicant should consult the Fingal County Development Plan/ local area plan and/or seek appropriate professional advice.
Pre planning consultation may be delivered via a telephone call, correspondence or email or meeting, depending on the scale and complexity of the development.
It is advisable prior to making a pre-planning application, to consult the Fingal County Development Plan 2017-2023 and associated maps, which may contain much of the relevant planning information needed for your proposed development.
Pre planning advice is given in good faith and without prejudice to the formal consideration of any subsequent planning application. Section 247(3) of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended states that “the carrying out of consultations shall not prejudice the performance by a Planning Authority of any other of its functions under this Act, or any regulations made under this Act and cannot be relied upon in the formal planning process or in legal proceedings.”
How Do I Arrange a Pre-Planning Consultation?
- The Pre-Planning Consultation Request Form which is available here.
- A site location map. The scale required is 1:1000 for urban areas and 1:2500 for rural areas. These can be obtained from Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- A clear and detailed description of the proposed development and nature of enquiry.
- Supporting information as necessary including photographs, sketches or preliminary drawings such as site layout, elevation drawings, floor plans.
- Completed ‘Supplementary Application Form for Permission for a Dwelling in a Rural Area / Foirm Iarratais Fhorlíontach maidir le Cead Pleanála do Theaghais i gCeantar Tuaith. There is no need to submit supporting documentation with this form for pre planning enquiries.
Please do not send pre planning requests to individual e-mail addresses of staff members. This is in order to ensure that all requests are received, recorded and reviewed by the Planning Department.
Other Guidance Documents to Consider as Part of Pre Planning
Applicants are advised to consult the following prior to submitting an application:
- Universal Design
- Fingal County Council Green Blue Infrastructure Guidance Document and associated appendices
Large-Scale Residential Developments
For Large-Scale Residential Development pre-planning consultation click here
Contact the Planning Department at
Visit us at the planning counter or post information to:
Planning Department, County Hall, Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday: 9.30am to 5pm and Friday 9 - 4.30pm.