An application by Fingal County Council for the provision of a permanent Outdoor Dining facility in Howth has been awarded €600,000 in funding by Fáilte Ireland under the Outdoor Dining Enhancement Scheme.
Fingal County Council is encouraging local hospitality and tourism providers to apply for grant funding under Fáilte Ireland’s new Outdoor Dining Enhancement Investment Scheme aimed at assisting the sector increase their outdoor dining capacity.
Fingal County Council has welcomed today’s announcement by the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Darragh O’Brien TD, that €25.4m has been awarded under the Urban Regeneration Development Fund (URDF) for projects associated with the rejuvenation of Balbriggan.
Fingal County Council has received more than 1,000 submissions and surveys from members of the public in relation to the proposed route for the Royal Canal Urban Greenway. The most recent six week-long phase of consultation ended on Wednesday, July 7.
Fingal County Council is delighted to announce the official opening of the Casino Model Railway Museum, Malahide following the completion of a €4m restoration programme on the historic Casino building and conservation of the Fry Model Railway Collection.
As part of Fingal County Council’s Commemorations programme 2018-2023:
Fingal County Council’s Arts Office, in association with The Irish Writers Centre, is delighted to present – A Burning Tide – A New Commissioned Writing & Film Commission, to be presented as part of Culture Night 2021 on 17th of September 2021, at Loughshinny Boathouse from 7pm – 9pm.
This week students of Blakestown Community School proudly launched their Micro Forest of over 450 broadleaf trees on the school grounds. This beautiful concept of planting a forest outside of their art classroom was developed by artist Gareth Kennedy in partnership with woodwright Eoin Donnelly.
Fingal has about 50 holy wells. The veneration of water had its origins in prehistory, when people threw offerings into sacred springs, rivers and lakes-a tradition we mirror when we throw coins into a fountain
There are 54 historic graveyards within Fingal which form a significant element of the county’s heritage. Many are still in use. Some such as Lusk, Swords, St Douloughs and Grallagh are associated with saints and date from the earliest periods of Christianty. Others like Cloghran, Holmpatrick and Mulhuddart are medieval parish graveyards.
Mary Ellen (Molly) Adrien was born on 25 September 1873. She is remembered as one of Fingal’s ‘Revolutionary women’. Molly joined Cumann na mBan after its establishment in April 1914 and is said to have been instrumental in forming the Lusk branch. On Easter Sunday 1916, Cumman na mBan were ordered to assemble at Black Church Phisboro, an order countermanded and were sent away to await recall. However Molly remained in the city and was chosen to bring the order to rise from Pearse to the leader of Irish Volunteers Joseph Lawless and then to Thomas Ashe Commandant of the North County Brigade.
Saturday the 16th May is National Drawing day which brings to mind the importance of illustrations, drawings and paintings of our heritage sites that have survived through the ages. In the 18th century the fashion for drawing antiquities was exemplified by Gabriel Beranger whose paintings of his Rambles thro’ the County of Dublin in 1770s beautifully recorded now long gone castles and monuments in Fingal.
Fingal has an ancient and varied maritime history from Viking raids and the medieval havens of Howth where the pague arrived, to the pirates of Lambay and the smugglers of Rush and Loughshinny. By the later fourteenth century the mouth of the Liffey had silted up and merchandise had to be landed elsewhere along the coast.
Contrary to popular belief most of Ireland’s natural forests were cleared before 1600, much of this clearance in prehistoric times. In medieval times there were scattered woods and copses throughout Fingal but forest cover reached a critical low in the 17th century. Much of present day Blanchardstown was covered in woodland known as the Great Scaldwood. There was an organised wolf cull in the Great Scaldwood in 1652.
The official opening of The Green, Malahide, has taken place with Mayor of Fingal, Cllr David Healy, cutting the ribbon watched by local councillors, Chief Executive AnnMarie Farrelly, members of the project team, our landscape architects and our contractor.