Is littering a problem in your area?
Why not sign up for Fingal County Council’s “Adopt a Patch” scheme? Download a registration form here: - Adopt a Patch Registration Form
Here’s how it works:
You choose a public area to adopt and clean-up by collecting litter, maintaining flower beds or even painting walls. The Council will provide support in the form of hi-vis vests, litter pickers, gloves, bags and outdoor paint. We will collect the bags of litter after your clean-up, unfortunately though, we can’t collect green waste.
This scheme works very successfully in Fingal with groups adopting stretches of roadway, parts of beaches, bottle banks and litter blackspots.
All litter collected is to be left for collection at existing Fingal County Council litter bins or please make arrangements with the Fingal Operations area to pick up the bags. Please leave bags in areas that are easily accessible and visible to Council staff and don’t leave bags in wide open green areas.
If there is a large clean-up organised, please ensure to contact Operations well in advance to let them know.
Bags can only be collected from public roads and estates taken in charge – i.e. not private housing estates.
The email addresses are as follows:
Your local Tidy Towns groups have litter equipment available or you may wish to register for the adopt a patch online or at one of the community centres listed below.
For the adopt a patch there is litter picking kit available at these locations listed below:
- Mulhuddart Community Centre, Church Rd, Buzzardstown, Dublin 15, D15 R2VF, Phone: (01) 821 5120
- Mountview Youth and Community Centre, Lohunda Downs, Coolmine, Dublin 15, (01) 821 8665
- Donabate Portrane Community & Leisure Centre, 3 Portrane Rd, Ballalease North, Donabate, Co. Dublin, K36 FY26 Phone: (01) 843 4546
- Baldoyle Community Hall, Main St, Baldoyle, Dublin 13, Phone: (01) 8395338
- Flemington Community Centre, Hamlet Ln, Balbriggan, (01) 841 5070
- Our Balbriggan Main Office, Georges Square, Balbriggan, email: [email protected]
- Applewood Community Centre, Castleview Lawn / Bunbury Gate Road, Swords, Co. Dublin, Phone: 353 (01) 807 9582, Email: [email protected]
The main Fingal County Council reception number is 01 890 5000 Mon-Fri
- If you need paint for a public area Fingal County Council Environment Department provide free Recycled Paint from the Recycling centres, which is then treated at the Rediscovery Centre. – email [email protected] directly for a supply of free recycled exterior paint for community estate areas. They even deliver it!!
Download a registration form here: - Adopt a Patch Registration Form
Please consult with your neighbours and local residents or landowners (if relevant) before adding any flower boxes or rockeries.
In your ‘Adopt a Patch’ please retain any existing habitats such as ivy and wild flowers for use by pollinating insects.
Important actions include the following: -
- Less mowing
- Less Spraying
- Plant more pollen-rich flowers
Pollen-rich flowers recommended by the National Biodiversity Data Centre are shown on their website in the resources section www.pollinators.ie
Dog Fouling Resources
See our Green Dog Walker Initiative page for resources to post on social media promoting proper dog hygiene in public places.
Biodiversity Actions Resources
Fingal County Council have Biodiversity Actions information leaflets and booklets available for the public:
One-page leaflet on pollen-rich flowers to plant: http://pollinators.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/AIPP-Garden-Plants_A5-Flyer-PRINT.pdf