Corporate Services

Voting and Elections

Check the Register

Check the Register here.

Information on Voting and Elections

The current Voting Register runs from 15 February 2021 to 14 February 2022. 

You can check if you are on the register to vote. You can read The Register of Electors Information Leaflet in a number of different languages here.

We have also answered some of the most Frequently Asked Questions for you to read.    

If you want to register to vote you must print and complete the‎ form below and post to:
Franchise Section, 
Fingal County Council,
County Hall,
Main St,
Co.Dublin. K67 X8Y2.

If you are already registered to vote and want to update your details you must print and complete an RFA3 form below and return it to us at the address above. 

Alternatively if you have a Public Services Card and a MyGovID verified account you can update your details on

Postal Voters and Special Voters

If you are unable to vote at your polling station for any of the following reasons you may apply to go on the Postal or Special Voters’ List if:

  • you have a physical disability / illness and living at home,
  • you have a physical disability / illness and living in a hospital or similar institution,
  • your occupation, service or employment, or place of study would prevent you from voting in person,
  • you are detained in prison.

Please return all forms to: Franchise Section, Fingal County Council, County Hall Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin K67 X8Y2. 



Frequently Asked Questions

Check the register on the electoral portal (

Complete form RFA 2, have it stamped at your local Garda Siochanna Station and return to the Franchise Section, Fingal County Council, County Hall Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin. K67 X8Y2. Please remember that on polling day your name will appear in the Supplemental Register.

To register in Dublin, you can also register online, at , if you have a Public Services Card and a  MyGovID verified account.

If you didn’t apply in time to be included on the Draft Register then you can apply at any time of the year to be included on the Supplemental Register. You are automatically transferred from the Supplemental Register to the Live Register at the time of Publication of the next Live Register. If you are on the Supplemental Register you will be voting at Table 1 in the designated Polling Location. Polling Cards for those on the Supplement are sent out after those on the Live Register as the closing date for receipt of applications is so close to Polling Day.


The latest date is 14 days prior to Polling Day excluding Sundays and Public Holidays. If the Council refuses to accept your application for inclusion you can appeal this decision to the County Registrar. 


Complete Form RFA 3, have it stamped at your local Garda Siochanna Station and return to the Franchise Section, Fingal County Council, County Hall Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin. K67 X8Y2.

Alternatively, you can edit your details on if you have a Public Services Card and a MyGovID verified account.  

Please remember that on polling day your name will appear in the Supplemental Register. You will automatically be placed on the Main Register in respect of the following year. 

A misspelling is regretted and should be notified to the Council when the draft register is published. If however you are late checking the register and have only now become aware please email  [email protected]  with the phrase “incorrect spelling of name” in the subject bar. This office can notify the Returning Officer of the issue to ensure you can vote on polling day. You will still be required to present evidence of identity.

OrDownload the RFA 2 form, have it stamped by An Garda Siochanna and return the form to Fingal County Council. 

There are several reasons why this might be the case

  • Unless you enter your name and address exactly are they are listed on the register then you won’t find your details. For example you search for Main Street when it is called Main Road on the Register.
  • Can your name be spelt another way for example O’Donnell, ODonnell, O'Donnell , Claire, Clare, Sean without a fada etc. Unless you are querying it the way it is entered on the system you won’t be able to find your records. Every effort is made to ensure your name is spelt correctly. If it isn’t please let us know and it can be amended after the Referendum
  • You are on the draft register. You are not on the Register of Electors until after the 15thFebruary of the following year.


The only circumstances this is permitted are as follows:

  • In the event of the death of a close family relative. The Council will confirm the details independently.
  • In the event of the medical condition of a close family changing to the point that they can longer vote. Medical Evidence in the form of confirmation from the individuals GP is required.


The most frequent is you moved house and didn’t re-register. The new occupants of your previous address would have informed the Council that you were no longer resident.

The Council has no way of knowing you live at a particular property or that you have turned 18. Each individual must apply to register to vote personally. 

It is your obligation to update your records and ensure they are accurate.

Yes. The Polling Card simply tells you when and where to vote. You do not require it to vote. You can confirm the details via, on the printed Register in the Library or by contacting the Franchise Section of Fingal County Council at 01-8905992 or  [email protected] . It is not a requirement to produce the Polling Card on Polling Day. You are required to have proof of I.D. regardless of whether you have a Polling Card or not.

In order to be eligible to be registered to vote you must be resident in Ireland on the 25thSeptember each year. If you are not ordinarily resident in Ireland you should not be registered to vote at all.  There is no system for Irish Citizen’s who live abroad to be on the Register of Electors or vote. The only exceptions are for members of the Army, Garda Siochanna or Foreign Service posted overseas. These individuals have to apply for a postal vote it is not awarded automatically.

If you area aware in advance that you will be away on Polling Day you should apply for a Postal Vote well in advance. Your application should contain the reason you require the Postal Vote. Postal votes may be awarded to people who are working away from home or studying in university.

The County Returning Officer recruits all staff that work on Polling Day and on the Count. Applications can be made to  [email protected] .  Or [email protected] m Fingal County Council has no role is awarding any work related to the Polling Station or Count.

  • The purpose of the Register of Electors is to maintain a list of people eligible to vote. The vast majority of electors are living in estates and have a uniform address i.e. house number, road name, area name. The addresses are entered from the naming and numbering protocols within the Planning Department. The test of accuracy is whether the Polling Card is delivered to you. The Register won’t be changed to reflect a person’s preference to be Portmarnock rather than Baldoyle or Sutton rather than Howth. If your address is Sutton and is mistakenly listed as Howth the records will be changed.
  • In a rural area the Register is set up on Townland Names. The townland names are strictly monitored to prevent the situation whereby neighbour’s are listed in different townlands. While at some point neighbours are, correctly, in different Townlands the Council does not want a situation whereby people are registered in the incorrect Townland as this leads to errors such as duplicate entries or the wrong person being deleted.


If you feel your address is incorrect to the point where your Polling Card won’t be delivered please contact the Council at  [email protected]  or 018905992

Each year as part of the Draft Register Process amendments have to be made to the Register. The Draft Register is published in November each year. If the Council is making an amendment to your record, subsequent to the publication of the Draft, you are written to notifying you and giving you the opportunity to comment on and appeal the decision.

No. That date is the latest for making amendments to the draft Register for the following year.

Further Information