There are 3 beaches in Fingal with wheelchair availability: South Strand Skerries Velvet Strand Portmarnock Balcarrick Beach Donabate The service is free of charge, but must be booked in advance.
We successfully introduced a free beach wheelchair service at South Strand Skerries, and Velvet Strand Portmarnock, in 2016.
These wheelchairs allow visitors with disabilities or mobility restrictions to have easier access to, and enjoyment of, our beaches.
At present there are 3 beaches with wheelchair availability:
- South Strand Skerries
- Velvet Strand Portmarnock
- Balcarrick Beach Donabate
The service is free of charge, but must be booked in advance.
When are the Wheelchairs available?
- Between the hours of 11am to 7pm, 7 days a week during July and August
- Chairs can be booked in slots of up to 2 hours
How do I book a Wheelchair?
You must book in advance either by phone, or in person:
South Strand Skerries (DeBug Beach Wheelchair Model): 086 809 0153 or call to the Lifeguard Hut
Velvet Strand Portmarnock (Hippocampe Beach Wheelchair Model): 086 822 2646 or call to the Lifeguard Hut
Shoreline Hotel Donabate (Hippocampe Beach Wheelchair Model): 01 810 9200 or call to hotel reception (August)
Are there any terms and conditions?
- You must fill in our Waiver Form, available at the locations above, before using the service
- You must present valid photo I.D. showing your current address when collecting the chair
- Chair users must have a helper in attendance as Fingal staff (Lifeguards or otherwise) or Hotel Staff are not in a position to help the user either into or out of the wheelchair.
For further information please contact: