Fire Safety Certificates
You must apply for a Fire Safety Certificate for new buildings and some alterations and extensions to existing buildings.
What is a Fire Safety Certificate?
A Fire Safety Certificate (FSC) shows that adequate escape facilities are present in a building and that the building is designed in a way that prevents and limits the spread of a fire. All buildings must comply with Part B (Fire) of the Building Regulations 1997 - 2010.
You don’t need a FSC for houses and certain agricultural buildings. Check the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2009 for further information.
How to apply
Download the Fire Safety Certificate application form and send the completed form to:
Fire Safety Section, Planning Department
Fingal County Council
PO Box 174
Or you can hand in your application at the Planning Counter in our Swords offices. We’re open Monday to Friday, from 9:30am to 4:30pm.
Filling in the application form
To make a valid application, you must provide:
- plans, calculations and specifications for the works or building (2 copies)
- details of the nature and extent of the proposed use of the building, and the existing use if applicable (2 copies)
- the appropriate fee based on floor area
It’s €125 or €2.90 per square metre of floor area being provided, whichever is greater (up to a maximum of €12,500). This is for works in connection with:
- the construction or extension of a building
- a building in which a material change of use takes place
- one or both of the following:
- the material alteration of the interior of a building
- the material alteration of the external surfaces of a building (€125 fixed fee)
For a building, or works, that will be used for agricultural purposes, the fee is €65 or €0.80c per square metre (in excess of 300 square metres) – applied to whichever of the following is greater:
- gross floor area being provided
- relevant floor area
What happens next?
We will issue you a decision within two months. If this timeframe needs to be extended, we’ll inform you in writing.
Make sure to send in your commencement notice or 7 day notice before you start work.
You may also need a Disability Access Certificate.
Viewing Fire Files
All FSC files are available to view at the Planning Counter in our Swords offices. We’re open Monday to Friday, from 9:30am to 4:30pm.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: (01) 890 5542